Mar 08 in General
I was interested to read on the BBC news website this week that scientists have confirmed a link between children developing peanut allergy and avoidance of peanut snacks in infanthood. It would appear that we have all become so worried about our children developing a peanut allergy that we have been avoiding them in our baby’s diets altogether and that has actually compounded the problem. Recent research has shown that introducing infants to peanuts at a young age can cut the chances of developing a peanut allergy by 80%. The research was done on children thought to be at risk of developing a peanut allergy (because they had already developed eczema) and the results showed that not only did regular exposure to peanuts in the diet prevent allergy from occurring, it was also possible for the child to then avoid peanuts for a whole year and still maintain their non allergic status! With the figures for children being diagnosed with peanut allergy at an all time high it looks like it might be time to stop being so restrictive and to start feeding them to very young children. Of course, should your child already have a peanut allergy, I would not advise exposing them to peanuts without specialist medical help and advice as full blown allergy is potentially very serious, but for the rest of us, it is worth considering?
Read the BBC article here
NEXT/PREVIOUS:Alternative Wedding Cake «
The reality of running a celebration cake business »